CONTEMPORARY ISLAM: DYNAMICS OF MUSLIM LIFE
CALL FOR PAPERS: A SPECIAL ISSUE ON ISLAM AND SEXUALITY
Contemporary Islam is an exciting and innovative multidisciplinary journal devoted to the exploration of contemporary Muslim lives. The journal provides insights into the contemporary dynamics of Muslim life by focusing on questions concerning the presence of Muslim migrants in the West as well as western-born Muslims, and the continuing active role that Islam plays in their lives. The journal also explores the idea of ‘the West’ among Muslims as well as the relationship between Muslim identities and social life. The Journal regards Islam as a modern religion in today’s global societies.
We seek high-quality theoretical and empirical articles of between 8,000 and 10,000 words to be considered for publication in a special issue on Islam and sexuality. We particularly welcome contributions in the following themes:
* Islamic constructions of human sexuality;
* Sexuality and sacred texts;
* The politics of sexuality in Muslim lives;
* Sexual and bodily practices in Muslim lives;
* Sexuality and gender in Islam;
* Sexual ethics in Islam;
* Heterosexuality and power;
* Intersection of sexual and religious identity;
* Non-heterosexualities, particularly homosexuality and bisexuality;
* Islam and transgenderism;
* Reproductive rights and gender.
Please e-mail 150-word abstracts to the guest editor by 14 April 2008. Contributions are to be submitted via e-mail to the guest editor by 16 June 2008. Instructions for manuscript preparation can be found at: www.springer.com/journal/11562.
Guest editor: Dr. Andrew Kam-Tuck Yip, University of Nottingham, UK. Andrew.firstname.lastname@example.org